I had a really mind-blowing conversation today with a good friend who inspires me all the time. We touched on the concept of both and. Which basically means you can totally be and like more than one thing…and it’s perfectly fine. You don’t have to hide it.
- I can love rap music and gospel music and still carry a good conversation (I do and I can).
- I can wear a full 3 piece suit one day and some booty shorts another (see above) and still be smart, professional and have self-respect.
- I can be a responsible parent and a sexy wife (see above) and still raise great children.
- I can wear braids and still be educated (I have a Bachelors Degree from U of I).
- I can have a silly tattoo on my thigh from my younger years and still be capable of making good decisions.
The point is this. You don’t have to check just one box ✅ and don’t let anyone make you feel like you should if that’s not who you really are. You can be a “both-and” meaning you can like this and that – even if they’re polar opposites.
Sometimes the “rules” are meant to be broken. Not to be mistaken with the “law,” ok? Those, you have to obey.